Simple Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Recipe
Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce
This is one of my favorites. Any time I can cook something once and have it feed me several times, I consider it a winner.
Ingredients: one spaghetti squash, marina sauce (preferably a brand without added sugar...check the ingredients!), ground turkey/ground beef or chopped up chicken breasts are optional
1. Cut the squash in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. Be careful, go slow, and cautiously slice the squash in half.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place squash halves cut side down on a heavy-bottomed roasting pan. Pour water into pan so that it is about an inch deep.
3. Roast for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until a fork punctures the peel of the squash easily.
4. Remove squash from the oven and allow it to cool just enough so you can handle it, about 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape the flesh from the squash into wonderful, stringy "noodles" with a sturdy fork and place in a small serving bowl. If some of the strands clump or gather together, simply separate them using your hands.
5. Serve squash with a marina sauce (there are several brands that are without sugar, that’s what we use!).
6. BONUS STEP: cook ground turkey or ground beef in a pan and add to dish.
You will have several servings extra. We put leftover spaghetti squash in a mason jar (and pour marina sauce and ground turkey in a separate jar). Healthy and tasty is ready to go!