Plymouth Personal Trainer Tips: Foam roller exercises for knee and hip pain
Knee and hip pain can keep the best of us from remaining active. But what if I told you about a few simple exercises that would help you feel better and remain active? Even better, in less than 15 minutes a day you can be on your way to healthier joints and feeling great again.
1. Foam Rolling Your Quads
This simple exercise will help you stretch out the muscles in your quads.
- Start with foam roller on the floor or mat.
- Lie face down with your quads resting on roller and toes pointed straight down
- Start just below your hips and crawl forward on your elbows to just above your knees.
- Keep elbows in the same place (forward so they don't bend under your torso)
- Roll 10-15 times
- Repeat with toes pointed to left and right
2. Foam Rolling Glutes (Medius)
Use this exercise in combination with quads and hamstrings
- Start with foam roller on mat on floor
- Lean on roller putting pressure on your glute
- If rolling right glute, your right leg should be bent under left leg and leaning on right elbow
- Roll small area just below hip
- Roll 10-15 times
- Switch sides and repeat
3. Rolling Hamstrings
- Start with foam roller on mat or floor
- Sit on roller just below your hips with feet off the floor
- Support yourself with arms on floor behind you
- Toes should be pointing towards ceiling
- Roll from just below hips to top of the knee
- Repeat 10-15 times
- Point toes outward and repeat
If you're ready to start working on your knee and hip pain, using your foam roller with all three of these exercises can help. I typically do all three exercises 3-4 times per week to help with joint pain. Here at Healthy Obsession, we're here to help. We offer in-home personal training in Plymouth, MN customized your joint pain to help you get back to being active again.